What to Look for in Literacy
A Leader's Guide to High Quality Instruction
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after March 31, 2021
Practical and rich in resources, this book provides a roadmap to monitoring, evaluating, and implementing effective literacy instruction in grades PK-12. Designed for district and school leaders as well as literacy consultants, this book contains all the strategies, guidance, and tools you’ll need to monitor the effectiveness of literacy instruction in your school or system. Top literacy experts Angela Peery and Tracey Shiel share concise, well-researched information about how to identify enriched literacy environments, what constitutes well-designed literacy lessons, and the components of effective literacy programs at each grade level. Chapters cover reading, writing, speaking and listening, as well as collaboration, technology, and more, and offer adaptable strategies for different environments. Tools such as rubrics, checklists, and conversation frames are included to help busy leaders and administrators effectively monitor literacy instruction and provide constructive, thorough feedback to teachers.
Each chapter features:
- Check-Up Tools to review documents and observe instruction
- Check-In Tools to guide your conversations and feedback given to teachers
- Reflective Questions for system and school leaders and instructional coaches
Table of Contents
1. What Gets Monitored Gets Done 2. Effective Literacy Instruction 3. Enriched Literacy Environments 4. Monitoring Reading Instruction 5. Monitoring Writing Instruction 6. Monitoring Speaking, Listening, and Collaboration 7. Monitoring Research and Technology 8. Now What?
Angela B. Peery is a literacy consultant, former high school teacher and administrator, and founder of Dr. Angela Peery Consulting LLC. She does over 100 speaking engagements per year and has published 15 books. You can follow her at @drangelapeery or visit her website at www.drpeery.com.
Tracey Shiel is a literacy consultant, leadership coach, former teacher, principal, assistant superintendent, superintendent, author of two books on performance tasks, and founder of Thought Partners LLC. Visit her website at www.thoughtpartnerscoaching.com.