Youth Rugby provides a summary of the latest and most up-to-date research evidence in relation to developing the youth rugby player. The book provides an overview of the latest scientific research for key topics related to the youth rugby player across the codes of rugby (union, league and 7’s; mainly league and union in youth players) whilst also summarising the quality of the evidence available and the limitations of this research and highlighting key future research directions. The book covers a range of fundamental scientific topics relating to paediatric exercise science, human physiology, youth athletic development and high-performance sport. Each author is an experienced researcher within their respective discipline related to the youth rugby player. The book includes chapters on:
• Long-term athletic development, growth and maturation, talent identification and the physical demands of youth rugby training and match-play.
• Physical characteristics and the current evidence behind training methods to promote desired physical qualities.
• Fatigue and recovery, the tackle, psychosocial development, nutrition and injury prevalence and prevention.
This text is essential reading for all scientists, students and applied researchers wanting to develop world-class, evidence-based programmes for their youth athletes.
1. Youth Rugby
Kevin Till and Ben Jones
2. Long-Term Athletic Development: The Youth Rugby Player
Rhodri S. Lloyd, Joey C. Eisenmann and Kevin Till
3. Kinanthropometry and Grouping Strategies in Youth Rugby
John Sampson, Job Fransen, Ric Lovell and Kevin Till
4. Talent Identification in Male Youth Rugby: An Ecological Perspective
Adam L. Kelly, Alexander B. T. McAuley, Francesco Dimundo and Kevin Till
5. The Demands of Youth Rugby Match-Play
Sarah Whitehead, Dan Weaving, Rich Johnston and Dale B. Read
6. Training Practices of Youth Rugby Players
Padraic Phibbs, Timothy Hartwig and Sarah Whitehead
7. Fatigue and Recovery in Youth Rugby
Carlos Ramírez-López, Cedric Leduc, Mathieu Lacome and Ben Jones
8. Measuring and Analysing Physical Qualities in Youth Rugby
Jonathon Weakley, Cameron Owen and John Sampson
9. Physical Qualities in Youth Rugby
Cameron Owen, Sam McCormack, Jonathon Weakley, Ben Jones and Kevin Till
10. Strength and Conditioning Interventions in Youth Rugby Players
Jonathon Weakley, Josh Darrall-Jones, Daniel T. McMaster and Nicholas Gill
11. The Tackle in Youth Rugby
Sharief Hendricks, Steven Den Hollander and Gregory Tierney
12. The Psychosocial Development of the Youth Rugby Player
Ross A. Shand, Lea-Cathrin Dohme and Stephen D. Mellalieu
13. Nutrition for Youth Rugby
Nessan Costelo, Sarah Chantler and Marcus Hannon
14. Injury Risk and Prevention in Youth Rugby
Jonathon Weakley and Kevin Till
"This book provides a comprehensive overview of current research related to the development of youth rugby players and covers topics including growth and development of the player, talent identification, training principles and nutritional practices to list a few. This is a must read for anyone working in youth rugby or studying pediatric exercise science."
-Dr Howard Hurst, University of Central Lancashire, UK
"If you are a student, researcher, coach, or practitioner who wants to learn more about the sport of rugby, then this is certainly the text for you. These authors are some of the leading experts in the discipline, who have provided a comprehensive overview of the latest scientific research in rugby."
-Dr Adam L. Kelly, Birmingham City University, UK