Doing Action Research in English Language Teaching A Guide for Practitioners
This hands-on, practical guide for ESL/EFL teachers and teacher educators outlines, for those who are new to doing action research, what it is and how it works. Straightforward and reader friendly, it introduces the concepts and offers a step-by-step guide to going through an action research process, including illustrations drawn widely from international contexts. Specifically, the text addresses:
- action research and how it differs from other forms of research
- the steps involved in developing an action research project
- ways of developing a research focus
- methods of data collection
- approaches to data analysis
- making sense of action research for further classroom action.
Each chapter includes a variety of pedagogical activities:
- Pre-Reading questions ask readers to consider what they already know about the topic
- Reflection Points invite readers to think about/discuss what they have read
- action points ask readers to carry out action-research tasks based on what they have read
- Classroom Voices illustrate aspects of action research from teachers internationally
- Summary Points provide a synopsis of the main points in the chapter
Bringing the 'how-to' and the 'what' together, Doing Action Research in English Language Teaching is the perfect text for BATESOL and MATESOL courses in which action research is the focus or a required component.
Chapter 1: What is action research?
Chapter 2: Plan – planning the action
Chapter 3: Act – putting the plan into action
Chapter 4: Observe – observing the results of the plan
Chapter 5: Reflect – reflecting and planning for further action
Further reading and resources
"I wholeheartedly recommend this book to all teachers who want to know about action research, and would like to undertake projects in their own context– and to those who seek to join and perhaps assist them on their way."--Modern English Teaching
"A superb hands-on practical guide to techniques that help teachers make the most of their lessons."--EL-Gazette
"… Original in approach, engaging in style and persuasive in terms of its content and structure."--Keith Richards, University of Warwick, UK