Historical Research in Marketing Management
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
This collection of articles deal with marketing history and the history of marketing thought, placing these subjects within a marketing management context. Despite the crucial role that historical research can play in expanding our understanding of marketing, studies of the history of marketing are thin on the ground. This volume aims to address this gap. Topics include the history of the Boston Consulting Group’s growth-share matrix, branding, the emergence of marketing schools of thought, managerialism, the marketing concept, relationship marketing, scientific management and marketing, and critical marketing studies. The introduction discusses the three themes that run through the collection: historical method, marketing history, and the history of marketing thought.
This book was originally published as a special issue of the Journal of Marketing Management.
Table of Contents
Introduction Mark Tadajewski and D.G. Brian Jones
Part I: Method and Justification of Historical Research in Marketing
1. Historical Perspective in Marketing Management, Explicating Experience Nico J. Vink
Part II: Marketing History (Management Practice)
2. Boxing up or Boxed in?: A Short History of the Boston Consulting Group Share/ Growth Matrix Alan Morrison and Robin Wensley
3. An Exercise in Early Modern Branding Ruth Herman
Part III: History of Marketing Thought
4. Marketing and Conflicting Dates for its Emergence: Hotchkiss, Bartels, the ‘Fifties School’ and Alternative Accounts Michael Enright
5. Parallel Universes and Disciplinary Space: The Bifurcation of Managerialism and Social Science in Marketing Studies Chris Hackley
6. Eventalizing the Marketing Concept Mark Tadajewski
7. Reading ‘The Marketing Revolution’ Through the Prism of the FBI Mark Tadajewski
8. Scientific Marketing Management and the Emergence of the Ethical Marketing Concept Mark Tadajewski and D.G. Brian Jones
9. Towards a History of Critical Marketing Studies Mark Tadajewski
Mark Tadajewski is Professor of Marketing at the University of Durham, UK. He is the Co-Editor of the Journal of Marketing Management and the author of various books and articles.
D.G. Brian Jones is Professor of Marketing at Quinnipiac University, USA. He is Editor of the Journal of Historical Research in Marketing, author of Pioneers in Marketing (2012), and co-editor with Mark Tadajewski of the three-volume set of readings titled The History of Marketing Thought (2008).