Industrial Biotechnology offers a comprehensive overview of biochemical processes, technologies, and practical applications of industrial biotechnology. The work comprises of chapters that discuss medium preparation, inoculum preparation using industrial strain and upstream processing, various fermentation processes, and physico-chemical separation processes for the purification of products and packaging.
- Analyzes problems within biochemical processes
- Discusses stoichiometry of bioprocesses
- Covers upstream and downstream processing
- Offers a wealth of case studies of different biochemical production processes, including those in development of food products, vaccines and medicines, single cell proteins, amino acids, cheese, biodiesel, biopesticides, and more
This book is aimed at advanced students, industrial practitioners, and researchers in biotechnology, food engineering, chemical engineering, and environmental engineering.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction. 2. Development of Industrial Strain, Medium Characteristics and Biochemical Pathways. 3. Stoichiometry of Bioprocesses,chemical Reaction Kinetics and Chemical Reactor Analysis. 4. Enzymatic Reaction Kinetics and Immobilization Techniques. 5. Life Cycle of the Microbial Cell, Microbial Growth Kinetics, Product Formation and Substrate Degradation. 6. Overview of the Fermenter, Flow Diagrams and Pumps and Valves Used in Fermentation Industries. 7. Air Sterilizer, Medium Sterilizer, Aseptic Transfer of Inoculum and Medium. 8. Downstream Processing: Solid-liquid Separators, Evaporator, Crystallizer, Liquid-liquid Extraction, Distillation, Chromatography. 9. Ethanol Fermentation, Brewing Industry, Wine Industry and Vinegar Production. 10. Citric Acid Production, Lactic Acid Production and Glutamic Acid Production. 11. Penicillin, Cephalosporin, and Streptomycin Production. 12. Single Cell Protein Production (Baker’s Yeast, Fodder Yeast, Spirulina, Etc.). 13. Alpha Amylase Production, Protease Production, and High Fructose Corn Syrup Production. 14. Amino Acid Production (L-lysine, L-glutamic Acid), Vitamin Production (B2, B12, L-ascorbic Acid). 15. Cheese Production. 16. Biodiesel and Butanol Production. 17. Biopesticides and Biopolymers Production. 18. Vaccines, Hepatitis B and Insulin Production. 19. Microbial Leaching of Metals. 20. Aerobic Effluent Treatment Process, Biohythane Process and Biofertilizer
Dr. Debabrata Das pursued his doctoral studies at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi and post-doctoral studies at University of Utah, USA. He is a Senior Professor at IIT Kharagpur. He was also associated as MNRE Renewable Energy Chair Professor at IIT Kharagpur. He has pioneered the promising R&D of bioenergy production processes by applying different fermentation technologies like biohydrogen, biohythane, biodiesel from microalgae and microbial fuel cell. He has been actively involved in the biohydrogen research work for the last twenty years. His recent work on biohythane process for the maximization of gaseous energy recovery from the organic wastes is worth mentioning. He has 6 books, more than 150 research publications in peer-reviewed journals (h-index 48) and 38 chapters in books published by International publishers. He has two Indian patents. He successfully commissioned 10 m3 pilot plant at IIT Kharagpur for the commercial exploitation of biohydrogen production process. He is involved in several national and international sponsored research projects like, NSF, USA; DAAD, Germany etc. He has been awarded IAHE Akira Mitsue award 2008 and Malaviya Memorial award for senior faculty 2013 for his contribution in hydrogen research. He is the Fellow of International Association of Hydrogen Energy (IAHE), 2016; Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), 2015; Institute of Engineers (India) (IEI), 2012; Biotechnology Research Society of India (BRSI), 2011; West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (WAScT), 2004. He is the member of the editorial board of International Journal of Hydrogen Energy; Biotechnology for Biofuels; Indian Journal of Biotechnology; The Open Microalgae Biotechnology Journal; INAE News Letters.
Dr. Soumya Pandit is Assistant Professor II, Amity Institute of Biotechnology, Mumbai, India. He pursued his doctoral studies at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur and completed his postdoctoral research work at the Department of Desalination & Water Treatment, The Zuckerberg Institute for Water Research (ZIWR), Ben-Gurion University of the Negev under Planning and Budget commission fellowship by Government of Israel. He is also a recipient of North West University postdoctoral fellowship. He has authored 18 research papers in peer-reviewed journals and 15 book chapters and published 2 Indian patents so far. His current research focuses on microbial electrochemical system for bioenergy harvesting and biofouling.