Biosurfactants are surface-active biomolecules produced by a wide variety of microorganisms. They can be produced from renewable sources, and possess high surface activity, high specificity, low toxicity, tolerance to pH, temperature and ionic strength, biodegradability, excellent emulsifying and demulsifying ability and antimicrobial activity. Biosurfactants have found applications in several industries including organic chemicals, petrochemicals, mining, metallurgy (mainly bioleaching), agrochemicals, fertilizers, foods, beverages, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and many others.
The main aim of this volume is to highlight concepts, classifications, production and applications of microbial surfactants in food and agriculture. The book provides a comprehensive coverage of fermentation, recovery, genomics and metagenomics of biosurfactant production. It is presented in an easy-to-understand manner, and includes protocols, figures, and recent data on the industrial demand market and economics, and the production of biosurfactants from novel substrates are particularly worthwhile additions. The volume will be useful for students, researchers, teachers, and entrepreneurs in the area of microbial biosurfactants and their applications in food and agriculture.
Table of Contents
1. Microbial Biosurfactants – Sources, Classification, Properties and Mechanism of Interaction
P Saranraj, R Z Sayyed, P. Sivasakthivelan, M Durga Devi, Abdel Rahman Mohammad Al – Tawaha and S Sivasakthi
2. Microbial Fermentation Technology for Biosurfactants Production
P Saranraj, P Sivasakthivelan, Karrar Jasim Hamzah, Mustafa Salah Hasan and Abdel Rahman Mohammad Al – Tawaha
3. Biosurfactants: Industrial Demand (Market and Economy)
Tesni Collins, Mark Barber, and Pattanathu K S M Rahman
4. Biosurfactant – A Biomolecule and its Potential Applications
Priyanka Patel, Shreyas Bhatt, Hardik Patel, R Z Sayyed, and Lilana Aguilar-Marcelino
5. Biosurfactants from Pseudomonads: Applications in Food Industry
Dibyajit Lahiri, Moupriya Nag, Sougata Ghosh, Ritwik Banerjee, and Rina Rani Ray
6. Functional Properties and Potential Application of Biosurfactants as a Natural Ingredient in the Food Industry
Dayang Norulfairuz Abang Zaidel, Hassan Ahmadi Gavlighi, Nozieana Khairuddin, Noorazwani Zainol, Zanariah Hashim, Nor Azizah Mohammad, and Nurul Asmak Md Lazim
7. Biosurfactants: Production and Applications in Food
Muzafar Zaman, Shahnawaz Hassan, Sabah Fatima, Basharat Hamid, Shabeena Farooq, Ishfaq Qayoom, Hina Alim, Vibhor Agarwal and R Z Sayyed
8. Rhamnolipid Biosurfactants: Production and Applications
Hebatallah H Abo Nahas, Gunis Kibar, Gasser M Khairy, Sh Husien, Hoda Azmy Elkot, Ahmed M Abdel-Azeem and Essa M. Saied
9. Current Perspectives of Microbial Lipopeptides with Their Advanced Applications for Sustainable Agriculture
Urja Pandya and Meenu Saraf
10. Biosurfactants: Applications for Sustainable Agriculture
Manju Sharma and S M Paul Khurana
11. Rhamnolipid Biosurfactants: Production and Application in Agriculture
Siti Syazwani Mahamad, Shobanah Menon Baskaran, Izzah Nurfarahiyah Md Isa, Mohd Rafein Zakaria and Mohd Ali Hassan
12. Microbial Biosurfactants: A New Frontier for Safe and Sustainable Agriculture
Shabeena Farooq, Sabah Fatima, Muzafar Zaman, Basharat Hamid, Shah Ishfaq, Zahoor Ahmad Baba, R Z Sayyed and Rahul Datta
13. Sustainable Farming with Biosurfactants from Fungi
Ahmed Abdul Haleem Khan, and Jelena Popović-Djordjević
14. Biosurfactants of Nitrogen Fixers and their Potential Applications
Mohammad Imran Mir, Humera Quadriya, B Kiran Kumar, Shireen Adeeb Mujtaba Ali, Mohamed Yahya Khan and Bee Hameeda
R.Z. Sayyed is a Professor and Head of the Department of Microbiology at PSGVP Mandal’s Arts, Science & Commerce College, Shahada (KBC North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon), India. He is the President of Indian Chapter of Asian PGPR Society for Sustainable Agriculture.
Hesham Ali El-Enshasy is a Professor in Bioprocess Engineering, School of Chemical Engineering and Energy, Faculty of Engineering, and Director for Institute of Bioproducts Development, University Technology Malaysia. He is also the Co-Chair for Food, Pharmaceutical & Bio-Engineering Division, Division 15A (Food), American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE).