Place Event Marketing in the Asia Pacific Region
Branding and Promotion in Cities
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after August 20, 2021
This book explores the fascinating phenomenon of place event marketing in the Asia Pacific. It examines procedures in the promotion and branding of places that use events to shape their identities.
It considers how events are used in forming a branded image of a place and disseminate information about it. This innovative book offers theoretical insights of the opportunities and challenges related to place event marketing. With contributions from leading thinkers in the field, chapters also draw on empirical examples to showcase a variety of events across the Asia Pacific, such as MICE, sporting events, festivals, and religious and cultural celebrations. The book explores the importance of such events for the socio-economic development of urban regions. Today, the Asia – Pacific is one of the world's fastest developing regions and its rising economic power is accompanied by the growing importance of the tourism and event sector. The book is a unique study relating to a very exceptional region of the world. The role of events in tourism development and the rise of the region’s soft power is presented through carefully selected examples of cities from different countries. The book concludes with commentary on the future directions for research in this area.
Written in an accessible style, this book will be of great interest to students, scholars and practitioners working in events studies, urban studies, tourism, place branding and promotion, business and management studies, geography, sociology and sport and leisure studies.
Table of Contents
2. When Ordinary Life Becomes Extraordinary: The Branding of Hangzhou, China during the 2016 G20 Summit
3. Branding Shanghai as a Global City Through China Shanghai International Arts Festival
4. Events Across ASEAN: Product-Oriented Regeneration and Value-Added Image Promotion
5. Brand Association With a Participant Sporting Event: The Case of the Okinawa Marathon in Japan
Yosuke Tsuji and Carolin Schlueter
6. The Socio-Economic and Branding Impacts of an International Sporting Event in Japan: Le Tour de France Saitama Criterium
7. From Religious Festival to Cultural Carnival: Durga Puja and the City Branding of Kolkata, India
8. Film, Fashion, Events and City Branding of Mumbai, India
9. "It’s Coming Home!": Leveraging Legacies in the City of Sails
Richard Keith Wright and Christopher Barron
Waldemar Cudny is an Associate Professor in Faculty of Geographical Sciences at The University of Lodz, Poland. He specialises in urban, tourism geography, event studies. His publications include such books as "City Branding and Promotion: The Strategic Approach", "Urban Events, Place branding and Promotion. Place Event Marketing".