Primer on Risk Analysis: Decision Making Under Uncertainty, Second Edition lays out the tasks of risk analysis in a straightforward, conceptual manner, tackling the question, "What is risk analysis?" Distilling the common principles of many risk dialects into serviceable definitions, it provides a foundation for the practice of risk management and decision making under uncertainty for professionals from all disciplines. New in this edition is an expanded risk management emphasis that includes an overview chapter on enterprise risk management and a chapter on decision making under uncertainty designed to help decision makers use the results of risk analysis in practical ways to improve decisions and their outcomes. This book will empower you to enter the world of risk management in your own domain of expertise by providing you with practical, insightful, useful and adaptable knowledge of risk analysis science including risk management, risk assessment, and risk communication.
- Answers the fundamental question, "What is Risk Analysis?"
- Presents the tasks of risk management, risk assessment, and risk communication in a straightforward, conceptual manner
- Responds to the continuing evolution of risk science and addresses the language of risk as it continues to evolve
- Expands the risk management emphasis with a new chapter to serve private industry and a growing public sector interest in the growing practice of enterprise risk management
- Includes a new chapter on decision making under uncertainty provides practical guidance and ideas for using risk science to improve decisions and their outcomes
- Features an expanded set of examples of the risk process that demonstrate the growing applications of risk analysis
This book is suitable for executives, professionals and students who seek a fundamental understanding of risk management, risk assessment, and risk communication.
A more detailed examination of this topic, suitable for practitioners from any discipline as well as students and professionals who aspire to become experts in the practice of risk analysis science, is found in Principles of Risk Analysis: Decision Making Under Uncertainty, Second Edition, ISBN: 978-1-138-47820-6.
Table of Contents
About the Author
Chapter 1 The basics
Chapter 2 Uncertainty
Chapter 3 Risk management
Chapter 4 Risk assessment
Chapter 5 Risk communication
Chapter 6 Enterprise risk management
Chapter 7 Decision making under uncertainty
Charles Yoe, PhD is a professor of economics at Notre Dame of Maryland University, Baltimore, U.S.A., and an independent risk analysis consultant and trainer. Working extensively for U.S. and other government agencies as a consultant and risk analyst, his wide range of risk experience includes international trade, food safety, natural disasters, public works, homeland security, ecosystem restoration, resource development, navigation, planning, and water resources. As a consultant to private industry, his work includes a discrete but wide variety of concerns. He has trained professionals from more than one hundred countries in risk analysis and conducted customized risk training programs for government agencies and private industry in over two dozen nations.