Beneficial microbes called probiotics exist naturally in our bodies and play a vital role in our health. Probiotics have been known to produce important microbiota of antimicrobial compounds that enhance our immunity to counter the harmful effects of pathogenic organisms. These microbes are also used in the treatment of diseases and in negating the side effects of chemically synthesized medicines. The study of probiotic organisms and their wide applications in industrial products for human and animal uses has thus gained momentum.
This book provides a comprehensive review on the research and applications of probiotics. It serves as a reference and resource for undergraduate and postgraduate students, researchers, companies, and policy makers who are active in fields related to functional food and feed, industrial biotechnology, nutraceuticals, and medicine. All chapters in this book have been written and edited by leading experts in the respective fields from academia, industry, or government.
Table of Contents
1. Probiotics and Prebiotics and Their Effect on Food and Human Health: New Perspectives
Maria Antoniadou and Theodoros Varzakas
2. Role of the Gut Microbiota in the Digestive Tract Diseases
Shanmugaprakasham Selvamani, Devendra Mehta, Chirajyoti Deb, Hesham El Enshasy and Bassam Abomoelak
3. Probiotics and GIT Diseases/Stomach Ulcer
Nehal El-Deeb and Lamiaa Al-Madboly
4. Research Progress on the Probiotic Function and Application of Clostridium butyricum
Wenxiu Zheng, Xian Xu, Qing Xu, He Huang and Ling Jiang
5. Technology and Health Claim Evaluation of Probiotic Dairy Products
Nuray Yazihan and Barbaros Özer
6. Milk Fermentation with Kefir Grains and Health Benefits
7. Engineering Probiotic Organisms
Jayashree Chakravarty and Christopher Brigham
8. Enzymatic Reaction for Oligosaccharides Production
Nor Hasmaliana Abdul Manas, Mohd Khairul Hakimi Abdul Wahab, Nur Izyan Wan Azelee and Rosli Md Illias
9. Encapsulation Process for Probiotic Survival during Processing
Shahrulzaman Shaharuddin, Nurzyyati Mohd Noor, Ida Idayu Muhamad, Nor Diana Hassan, Yanti Maslina Mohd Jusoh and Norhayati Páe
10. Probiotics Applications in Agriculture
Ahmed Kenawy, Gaber Abo-Zaid, Hamada El-Gendi, Ghada Hegazy, Ting Ho and Hesham El Enshasy
11. Probiotics in Aquaculture Applications
Fagr Kh. Abdel-Gawad, Samah M. Bassem and Hesham El Enshasy
12. Probiotics and Functional Feed
Guzin Iplıkcıoglu Cıl, Gaye Bulut, Duygu Budak, Guzin Camkerten and Ilker Camkerten
13. Insect Gut Bacteria and Iron Metabolism in Insects
Mahesh S. Sonawane, Rahul C. Salunkhe and R.Z. Sayyed
Prof. Dr. Hesham Ali El-Enshasy is the Director of the Institute of Bioproduct Development (IBD), and professor in the School of Chemical and Energy Engineering at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) Malaysia, Co-Chair for Division 15A (Food), AIChE, USA. He has more than 250 publications in topics related to industrial biotechnology, antibiotics, probiotics, mushrooms, mammalian cell culture, and biotech. He is the editor of BBRA and an editorial board member of many international journals.
Prof. Dr. Shang-Tian Yang is Professor of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering and Food Science & Technology at The Ohio State University. Prof. Yang's research interests include biocatalysis, metabolic engineering, stem cell engineering, and high-throughput cell-based assays and biodiagnostics. He has published two edited books and more than 300 papers in the bioengineering field. He is an associate editor for the journal Process Biochemistry and elected fellow if the American Institute of Medcial and Biological Engineering.