Recent changes to education policy have brought about a new emphasis on promoting school-to-school support and school-led improvement, in order to ensure that all pupils, including those with SEN, achieve their optimum potential. SENCOs, often in the role of Specialist Leaders of Education (SLE), now undertake coaching, mentoring and the delivery of training to ensure that trainee, newly qualified and experienced teachers and teaching assistants have the practical skills to effectively meet the needs of pupils with SEN.
In her trademark down-to-earth style, Rita Cheminais shows SENCOs how to respond to and enhance this exciting and pivotal new role by:
- Explaining the new school-to-school support and school-led improvement context that many SENCOs will be working in;
- Clarifying the role of the outstanding SENCO, as a Specialist Leader of Education;
- Maximising on the best practice arising from the effective use of the pupil premium and the ‘Achievement for All’ initiative;
- Confirming OFSTED’s expectations for SEND in the revised inspection schedule for schools and academies;
- Describing how best to monitor, evaluate and validate best practice in school-to-school support.
Packed with time-saving, photocopiable resources, examples of best practice and further activities for reflection, this practical book will enable the SENCO to respond to the current agenda, particularly in performing the role of a Specialist Leader of Education, disseminating SEN expertise across schools.
Promoting and Delivering School-to-School Support for Special Educational Needs will be essential reading for all outstanding and aspiring outstanding SENCOs working in the early years, primary, secondary and special phases of education, academies and Pupil Referral Units.
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations Acknowledgements List of abbreviations Introduction 1. Opportunities and challenges for SENCOs 2. School-to-school support for SEND 3. Leading the implementation of Achievement for All 4. Making best use of the pupil premium 5. Meeting the OFSTED inspection requirements for SEND 6. Quality assuring school-to-school support for SEND Glossary References and further reading Index
Rita Cheminais is a freelance education consultant, author and national speaker.