Apple Academic Press
519 pages | 7 Color Illus. | 25 B/W Illus.
Food Microbiology and Biotechnology: Safe and Sustainable Food Production explores the most important advances in food microbiology and biotechnology, with special emphasis on the challenges that the industry faces in the era of sustainable development and food security problems.
Chapters cover broad research areas that offer original and novel highlights in microbiology and biotechnology and other related sciences. The authors discuss food bioprocesses, fermentation, food microbiology, functional foods, nutraceuticals, extraction of natural products, nano- and micro-technology, innovative processes/bioprocesses for utilization of by-products, alternative processes requiring less energy or water, among other topics. The volume relates some of the current developments in food microbiology that address the relationship between the production, processing, service and consumption of foods and beverages with the bacteriology, mycology, virology, parasitology, and immunology.
Demonstrating the potential and actual developments across the innovative advances in food microbiology and biotechnology, this volume will be of great interest to students, teachers, and researchers in the areas of biotechnology and food microbiology.
Part 1: Food Microbiology
1. Hurdle Technologies for the Control of Microbial Growth in Food
Addi Rhode Navarro-Cruz et al.
2. Production of Microbiologically Safe Fruits and Vegetables
Santos García and Norma Heredia
3. Sustainable Production of Innocuous Seafood
Facundo-Joaquín Márquez-Rocha et al.
4. Microbiological Quality and Food Safety Challenges in the Meat Industry
Daniela Sánchez-Aldana, Tomas Galicia-García, and Martha Yareli Leal-Ramos
5. Fermentation as a Preservation Strategy in Foods
María Georgina Venegas-Ortega et al.
6. Food Preservation Using Plant-Derived Compounds
Sofia del Rosario Romero-Ramos et al.
7. Lactic Acid Bacteria in Preservation and Functional Foods
Ivan Salmerón et al.
8. Fermented Milks: Quality Foods with Potential for Human Health
Blanca Estela García-Caballero et al.
9. Training in Good Safety Practices and Food Manufacturing for Safe Food Production
José Rafael Linares-Morales, Arely Prado-Barragán, and Guadalupe Virginia Nevárez-Moorillón
Part 2: Food Biotechnology
10. Production, Recovery, and Application of Invertases and Lipases
Deicy. Yaneth López Acuña et al.
11. Recent Advances in the Bioconversion of 2-Phenylethanol through Biotechnological Processes for Using as a Natural Food Additive
Itza Nallely Cordero-Soto et al.
12. Natural Antimicrobials from Vegetable By-Products: Extraction, Bioactivity, and Stability
R. Gómez-García et al.
13. Fermentative Bioprocesses for Detoxification of Agri-Food Wastes for Production of Bioactive Compounds
Liliana Londoño-Hernandez et al.
14. Lipids as Components for Formulation of Functional Foods: Recent Trends
Leticia Xochitl Lopez-Martinez et al.
15. Milk-Clotting Enzymes: S. elaeagnifolium as an Alternative Source
Néstor Gutiérrez-Méndez et al.
16. Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) Nutritional and Functional Properties
Gerardo Manuel González-González et al.
17. Biomass Fractionation to Bio-Based Products in Terms of Biorefinery Concept
Marcela Sofia Pino et al.