Foodborne pathogens continue to cause major public health problems worldwide and have escalated to unprecedented levels in recent years. In this book, major foodborne diseases and the key food safety issues are discussed elaborately. In addition, emerging and reemerging microbial agents and other food safety related topics are discussed. This book also addresses the challenges facing both developed and developing countries to ensure food safety in the development of new food products and processing technologies, internationalization of food trade, safety of foods derived from biotechnology, microbiological risks, and emergence of new and antibiotic-resistant pathogens, particularly from emerging pathogens.
This book was written so that readers can easily understand content aimed at enhancing continuing global efforts to deliver safe food and improve health and environmental conditions in developing countries. The book is useful in getting the latest information in food safety and foodborne pathogens. The comprehensive contents include coverage of:
- Foodborne microbial agents and their growth, survival, and death in food
- Emerging and reemerging foodborne pathogens
- Emergence of drug-resistant pathogens
- Impact of climate change on foodborne pathogens
- Technology for rapid and accurate detection of foodborne pathogens
- Risk analysis, assessment, and pathogen management in food
- Strategies to destroy or control foodborne pathogens
- Biosecurity issues and the implications of new regulatory guidelines
- Worldwide food safety status
Table of Contents
Foodborne Infection and Microbial Agents. The Growth, Survival and Death of Bacterial Pathogens in Food. Emerging and Reemerging Foodborne Pathogens. Emergence of Drug Resistance Pathogens. Methods and Technology for Rapid and Accurate Detection of Foodborne Pathogens. Impact of Climate Change on Foodborne Pathogens. Worldwide Food Safety Status. Risk and Hazard Analysis of Food. Risk Assessment and Pathogen Management in Food.
Md. Latiful Bari, Dike O. Ukuku
"The overall information provided is obviously critical for ensuring safe food for consumers, and the book will definitely help newcomers to the processed food field and update those who have been in it for a long time." --M. Kroger, Pennsylvania State University, University Park Campus