The amount and range of brand related literature published in the last fifty years can be overwhelming for brand scholars. This Companion provides a uniquely comprehensive overview of contemporary issues in brand management research, and the challenges faced by brands and their managers.
Original contributions from an international range of established and emerging scholars from Europe, US, Asia and Africa, provide a diverse range of insights on different areas of branding, reflecting the state of the art and insights into future challenges.
Designed to provide not only a comprehensive overview, but also to stimulate new insights, this will be an essential resource for researchers, educators and advanced students in branding and brand management, consumer behaviour, marketing and advertising.
Table of Contents
Section A: What is a brand and how do we measure its market performance?
1. Brand Definitions and Conceptualisations: The debate
2. Measuring the Market Performance of Brands: Applications in brand management
3. Consumer Based Brand Equity
4. Brand Valuation: Principles, applications and latest developments
5. Brands and the Self
6. Brand and the Society
7. Dead Brand Walking: On the paradoxes and perversities of branding
Section B: Strategic Brand Management
8. Brand Architecture Design and Brand Naming Decisions
9. Strategic Brand Alliances
10. Brand Extensions
11. A Brand Culture Perspective on Global Brands
12. Positioning a Brand
13. New Brands: Performance and measurement
Section C: Managing Brand Communication
14. Brand Building via Integrated Marketing Communications
15. Sensory Aspects of Branding
16. Building Brand via Corporate Social Responsibility
17. Digital Branding and Analytics
Section D: Branding to Different Audiences
18. Looking at the Future of B2B Branding
19. Towards a Better Understanding of the Ethical Brand and its Management
20. Not-for-Profit Branding
21. Strategic Employer Brands: Current domain, future directions
22. Internal Branding: Dissecting, re-analysing and re-directing the literature
23. Brand Culture, Halal and the Critical Islamic Imperative
24. Branding the Entire Entity: Corporate branding
25. Branding in the Emerging Markets
26. Branding in the Base of the Pyramid: Bases for country and organizations in Ghana
27. Guinness in Africa: Contemporary branding at the base of the pyramid
Section E: Branding Different Entities/Products
28. Branding Higher Education
29. Political Branding: The case of the Scottish referendum 2014
30. Arts Branding
31. From Nation to Neighbourhood: Branding and marketing places
32. The Challenges of Luxury Branding
33. Retail Branding
34. Service Branding: Enabling, making and delivering promises
35. Branding Financial Services
36. Branding in Sports
37. Franchise Brand Management from a Knowledge Perspective
Francesca Dall'Olmo Riley is Professor of Brand Management at Kingston Business School, UK. She has published in The Journal of Business Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Advertising Research and Journal of Marketing Management. She is Associate Editor of the Journal of Marketing Management.
Jaywant Singh is Professor of Marketing at Kingston Business School, Kingston University London, UK. He has published, amongst others, in the Journal of Business Research, Marketing Letters, Journal of Advertising Research, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Business Ethics, and European Journal of Marketing.
Charles Blankson (Ph.D. Kingston University, UK) is an Associate Professor of Marketing in the Department of Marketing, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas, USA. He has published in Journal of Advertising Research, Journal of Business Research, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing.
‘The Routledge Companion to Contemporary Brand Management lives up to its name as a thoroughly up-to-date, comprehensive guide to some of the very latest and best thinking about brands and branding. Bringing together some of the finest minds in marketing, the Companion is enlightening, thought-provoking and enormously useful. It belongs on the bookshelf of anyone serious about the art and science of brand theory and practice.’ - Kevin Lane Keller, E.B. Osborn Professor of Marketing, Dartmouth College, USA
‘The Routledge Companion to Contemporary Brand Management is perfect for any aspiring student of brand management. It gives a comprehensive picture of the current state of academic thinking: the good, the bad, and the fanciful; the practical and the purely academic.’ - Byron Sharp, Professor of Marketing Science, University of South Australia, Australia
'What impresses me most about this volume is the number of new and exciting areas for which it provides reviews, such as Employer branding; Branding in Education and the Arts and Sports and Politics and for Non-Profits; Strategic Brand Alliances; Brand Architecture; Branding in Emerging Markets, especially Africa; etc. If you ever needed proof that the concepts and practices of Branding have very wide applicability, but with important nuanced differences, you will find it here. Add to that the terrific reviews on more established but still very important topics – such as Brand Valuation, Brand Extensions, Luxury Branding, and the like. All from a mix of well-established leaders in these fields, plus many new faces. Truly a volume that every scholar and practitioner in any branding domain must study carefully.' - Rajeev Batra, Kresge Professor of Marketing, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, USA
‘The Routledge Companion to Contemporary Brand Management is a truly valuable and comprehensive collection of perspectives on brand management by scholars from around the world. The range of topics covered is incredibly broad, interesting and relevant to both academics and practitioners. No other collection of readings spans from traditional topics such as brand equity and brand extensions to 'new' topics such as branding in base of the pyramid markets. Each contribution tackles the topic with depth and authority. I congratulate the Editors for compiling such an impressive compendium of contributors and topics.’ - Bernd Schmitt, Robert D. Calkins Professor of International Business at Columbia Business School and faculty director of the Center on Global Brand Leadership, USA
'With many leading brands now valued at multi-billion dollars, and brand management on the C-Suite agenda globally, this Routledge Companion offers a timely and insightful reflection on cutting-edge branding issues to managers and academics alike.' - Professor Rajendra Srivastava, Dean of the Indian School of Business (ISB) and the Novartis Professor of Marketing strategy and Innovation, India
‘I was delighted to see this collection of latest thinking in the field of branding. The book is an extremely useful tool for branding and marketing professionals across all industries.’ - Joe DePinto, President and CEO of 7-Eleven, Inc., USA