Authored by world experts, the Handbook of Food Processing, Two-Volume Set discusses the basic principles and applications of major commercial food processing technologies. The handbook discusses food preservation processes, including blanching, pasteurization, chilling, freezing, aseptic packaging, and non-thermal food processing. It describes common food engineering unit operations as well as preservation processes required to convert raw materials into final products. Also covered are topics surrounding food safety and quality.
- Case study on the effect of blanching conditions on sulforaphane content in purple and roman cauliflower (brassica oleracea l. Var. Botrytis)
- Principles of thermal processing described along with thermal process calculations
- Case study on microwave preservation of fruit-based products: application to kiwifruit puree
- Principles and applications of Ohmic heating
- Advances in food additives and contaminants
- Use of edible films and coatings in fresh fruits and vegetables preservation
- Handling and management of raw materials of foods
- Sensory evaluation of foods
- Hygiene and food sanitation
- Case studies on the implementation of ISO22000, HACCP, and other management tools for the implementation of food safety–traceability
- Food waste management case studies from the food industry along with life cycle analysis
This two-volume set brings together aspects of food preservation and food processing operations methods of the basic food manufacturing processes addressing the relevant food safety and quality issues. Taking an innovative approach, the editors combine coverage of food preservation methods, the equipment needed to carry them out, and food processing operations methods of basic food manufacturing processes. The set helps you keep up with diverse consumer demands and rapidly developing markets.
Table of Contents
Blanching. Thermal Processing-Pasteurization. Sterilization. Canning. Extrusion-Cooking. Dehydration-Freeze Drying-Spray Drying. Chilling. Freezing. Irradiation. Microwave Heating Technology. Additives Technology. Ohmic Heating. High Pressure Processing. Pulsed Electric Fields (PES). Oscillating Magnetic Fields (OMF). Dielectric/Infrared Heating. UV Light-Ultrasound-High Voltage Discharge. Edible Films and Coatings. Food Packaging-Aseptic Packaging. Trends in Food Processing and Control (Biosensors, etc.). Supercritical Fluid Extraction. Ozone Processing. Food Handling and Transportation. Raw Materials Storage and Preparation. Product Storage/Distribution and Shelf-Life. Quality Control-Sensory Evaluation. Food Safety-HACCP. Food Plant Sanitation-Operation. Quality and Safety Assurance. Food Waste Management. Hygiene and Safety. Dairy Products: Milk, Yoghurt, Cheese, Ice Cream. Bakery and Confectionery Products. Fruit and Vegetables. Nonalcoholic Beverages. Chocolate. Oil and Fat Technology. Meat and Meat Products. Poultry Products. Seafood Products. Snack.