This volume takes an in-depth look at various biological and chemical hazards in food and food products that pose health threats. It also outlines methods and practices for the diagnosis, prevention, and management of these hazards in food production processes. The new scientific research and case studies presented in the volume cover mycotoxins, foodborne pathogens, antibiotic residues from dairy animals, pesticide residues, the presence of heavy metals in food, and more. Chapters also address food allergy management and offer lessons and practices in food recall situations.
The authors discuss the various food toxins, their sources, as well as management, mitigation, and prevention strategies. Also addressed are the specific adverse effects on people with health problems such as diabetes, hypertension, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, and more. This book is organized in such a way that each chapter treats one major food safety hazard and offers novel control methods for health, food safety, and quality enhancement through various means.
Biological and Chemical Hazards in Food and Food Products: Prevention, Practices, and Management will aid researchers and policymakers as it illustrates the various aspects of food safety hazards and how to analyze and control these potential health threats.
Part I: Biological Hazards in Foods and Food Products
1. Potential Threat of Mycotoxins to Food Safety and Security
V. Dharini, Neha Halder, S. Periyar Selvam, G. Mikunthan, and M. Mahesh Kumar
2. Potential Concern of Foodborne Pathogens in the Food Industry
Samlesh Kumari and Pragya Kulkarni
3. Rapid Isothermal Nucleic Acid Dependent Techniques for On-Site Diagnosis of Foodborne Pathogens
Saurabh Kadyan, Gaurav K. Deshwal, Rashmi H. Mallappa, and Diwas Pradhan
4. Antimicrobial Resistance in Food Grade Lactic Acid Bacteria
Shruti Nayyar, Saurabh Kadyan, Heena Parveen, Rashmi H. Mallappa, and Diwas Pradhan
5. Zoonoses: Infectious Diseases in Humans
Arun Kharate, Ravindra Dombar, J. Adeppa, and Lina Dhote
Part II: Chemical Hazards in Milk and Milk Products
6. Milk Adulteration: Current Scenario and Challenges
Tanmay Hazra, Rohit G. Sindhav, CH. V. K. Sudheendra, and Vimal M. Ramani
7. Antibiotic Residues in Milk: Control Strategies in Dairy Animals
Sushil K. Mohapatra and Tapas K. Patbandha
8. Heavy Metal Contamination in Milk and Milk Products
Apurba Giri, Monalisa Roy, Sucheta Sahoo, and Khokan C. Gayen
9. Detection of Pesticides Residues in Milk and Milk Products
Dipesh Aggarwal, Santosh Anand, and Diwakar Mishra
Part III: Food Safety Hazards: Practices and Management
10. Food Safety Management Systems in the Food Processing Industry
Nancy Awasti, Venkateswarlu Sunkesula, and Ahmed R. A. Hammam
11. Current Trends and Advances in Food Allergy Management
Rohit G. Sindhav, Tanmay Hazra, and Ankit J. Thesiya
12. Anti-Nutritive and Therapeutic Properties of Lectins
CH. V. K. Sudheendra, Tanmay Hazra, Akash Solanki, and Vimal M. Ramani
13. Recall of Food Products: Practices and Lessons.
Sarang D. Pophaly, Manorama Chauhan, Awadhesh K. Tripathi, Raghav Pandey, Tejinder P. Singh, and Kushal K. Sandey