Consumers worldwide are becoming increasingly aware of the significant impacts of food quality, nutrition, and food habits on their health. Demands for fresh, minimally processed foods, foods subjected to less severe preservation and processing, and for foods with no synthetic chemical preservatives are expanding rapidly. Food businesses worldwide are innovating advanced processing and preservation technologies, including natural, bioactive preservatives to fulfill these emerging consumers’ demands.
Emerging Technologies in Food Preservation discusses the innovations and advancements in food processing and preservation that have emerged over the last two decades of the 21st century. Various experts in the field examine different innovative food processing and preservation technologies, including non-thermal and minimal processing technologies, particularly those that have least destructive impact on micronutrients.
- Describes the hurdles and challenges in commercialization of these novel processing technologies, including their legal ramifications on food regulations and legislations.
- Provides detail accounts of application of each of the novel food preservation principles, as they are applied in commercial food processing / food manufacturing lines worldwide.
- Features a complete account on recent developments and advancements in food preservation and processing technologies, including natural and biopreservatives
Mindful of the increasing interest in alternatives to traditional thermal processing of foods and beverages, this book is a valuable reference for students, scholars, researchers, scientists, food entrepreneurs, as well as technical professionals working in food industries and associated businesses.
List of Contributors
1. Natural Food Preservatives
Jayeeta Bardhan Dasgupta, L Susmita Devi, Sucheta Jha, Avik Mukherjee, Santosh Kumar, Dipankar Halder, and Atanu Mitra
2. Food Preservation by High Hydrostatic Pressure
Barjinder Pal Kaur, Rahul Kumar Rout, and P Srinivasa Rao
3. Cold Plasma for Food Preservation
Uday S. Annapure and Rohit Thirumdas
4. Ultrasound Technology for Food Preservation
Thota Niranjan, Rifna E J, Salman Hashmi, and Madhuresh Dwivedi
5. Food Preservation by Dense Phase Carbon Dioxide
6. Food Preservation by Ozonation
Maithili Adhikary, Raunak Banerjee, Surabhi Chaudhuri, and Anindya Chanda
7. Food Preservation Using Ultraviolet Light
Monica Jaiswal, Mwchangti Debbarma, Hilal A Makroo, Tatiana Koutchma, and Brijesh Srivastava
8. Preservation of Food by Gamma-Irradiation Technology
Poulami Sarkar, Dipshikha Tamili, Subhasis Bhattacharya, and Paramita Bhattacharjee Chakraborti
9. Food Preservation by Ohmic Heating
Abhijit Chatterjee and Uttara Mahapatra
10. Food Preservation by Microwave Heating
Debasmita Dutta and Debjani Dutta
11. Infrared Heating for Food Preservation
Sukumar Debnath and H. Umesh Hebbar
12. Food Preservation by Coating Technology: Nanotechnology Approach
Madhu Kamle, Purnamsree Gogoi, Dipendra Kumar Mahato, Akansha Gupta, and Pradeep Kumar
13. Nanotechnology in Innovative Food Preservation and Packaging
Jayita Bandyopadhyay and Suprakas Sinha Ray
14. Laws and Regulations for Emerging Food-Processing Technologies
Pradip Chakraborty, Avik Mukherjee, and Santosh Kumar