Essential Oils as Antimicrobial Agents in Food Preservation
Perishable products such as fruits and vegetables account for the largest proportion of food loss due to their short shelf life, especially in the absence of proper storage facilities, which requires sustainable, universal and convenient preservation technology.
The existing methods to prolong the shelf life of food mainly include adding preservatives, irradiation, cold storage, heat treatment and controlled atmosphere storage. But with disadvantages in irradiation, cold storage, heat treatment and controlled atmosphere storage, chemical synthetic preservatives are still the main means to control food corruption.
As the food industry responds to the increasing consumer demand for green, safe and sustainable products, it is reformulating new products to replace chemical synthetic food additives. Essential Oils as Antimicrobial Agents in Food Preservation provides a comprehensive introduction to the antimicrobial activity of plant essential oils and their application strategies in food preservation. It is aimed at food microbiology experts, food preservation experts, food safety experts, food technicians and students.
- Summarizes the application strategy and safety of essential oil in the field of food preservation
- Describes the synergistic antibacterial effect of essential oil and antimicrobial agents
- Explains the action mechanism of essential oil as antimicrobial agent against foodborne fungi, foodborne bacteria, viruses and insects
- Analyzes the antimicrobial activity of essential oil in gas phase
The book discusses how as a natural antimicrobial and antioxidant, essential oil has great potential to be used in the food industry to combat the growth of foodborne pathogens and spoilage microorganisms. But because the essential oil itself has obvious smell and is sensitive to light and heat, it cannot be directly added to the food matrix and thus the application strategies presented in this book explain how to alleviate those issues.
About the Author
1. Application of Plant Essential Oils in Different Fields
2. The Inhibitory Activity and Mechanism of Essential Oils on Foodborne Bacteria
3. The Inhibitory Activity and Mechanism of Essential Oils on Foodborne Fungi
4. Essential Oils in Vapor Phase as Antimicrobial Agents
5. Synergistic Antibacterial Effect of Essential Oils and Antibacterial Agent
6. Antioxidant Activity and Mechanism of Essential Oils
7. Antiviral Activity and Mechanism of Essential Oils
8. The Repellent or Insecticidal Effect of Essential Oils Against Insects and Its Mechanism
9. Preparation Strategy and Application of Porous Starch Microcapsule and Cyclodextrin Containing Essential Oils
10. Preparation Strategy and Application of Edible Coating Containing Essential Oils
11. Preparation Strategy and Application of Nanoemulsion Containing Essential Oils
12. Preparation Strategy and Application of Electrospinning Active Packaging Containing Essential Oils
13. Preparation Strategy and Application of Active Packaging Containing Essential Oils
14. In Vivo Experiment, Stability, and Safety of Essential Oils