Maize is widely cultivated throughout the world due to its high-yield potential. The economic and nutritional value of maize grains is associated with its starch content, protein, fibre, bioactive compounds, and minerals. Maize is used worldwide in the preparation of health-benefiting, antioxidant-rich, fortified products and dietary supplements.
Maize: Nutritional Composition, Processing, and Industrial Uses explores the status of maize in terms of its production, nutritional composition, biofortification, processing methods, health benefits, maize-based products and storage. This book also emphasizes the key features of maize grains which make it an ideal crop for industrial use. It covers all aspects of recent research about the maize and provides updated information.
- Discusses information related to chemistry of maize components
- Highlights comprehensive information on the physical and milling properties of maize
- Explains the structure, functional, and antioxidant properties of maize flour
- Provides the latest scientific development in the modification of maize starch
- Explores various maize-based food products and their storage
- Examines maize protein, scenarios, and quality improvement through bio-fortification
In-depth information is provided regarding various health-benefiting nutrient components of maize flour, offering meaningful information for product formulation. This book unfolds the potential of maize grains for industrial use.
1. Physical and Milling Properties of Maize 2. Chemistry of Maize Components 3. Nutritional Profile of Maize and Effect of Processing Methods 4. Maize Starch: pasting, rheological and morphological properties 5. Maize starch modifications and industrial uses 6. Maize Protein: Extraction, Quality and Current Scenario 7. Bioactive Compounds, Antioxidant Properties and Health Benefits of Whole Maize and its Components 8. Colored Maize and Their Unique Features 9. Quality Improvement Through Bio-Fortification 10. Storage of Maize and its Products.